Long Ridge Dental BLOG

4 Tips on How You Can Maintain Proper Dental Hygiene

By: | Tags: | Comments: 1 | March 20th, 2015

Believe it or not; but most Americans brush their teeth for only 17 seconds on an average! But before you hold your breath, ask yourself a question; ‘do you brush your teeth for at least two minutes?’ If you are confident about your answer, then you have nothing to worry about.

However, if you are one of those individuals who tend to cut corners when it comes to dental hygiene, this article is definitely for you. In this article, we will shed light on the how you can maintain proper dental hygiene to keep your bright whites healthy for life.

Only Brushing Is Not Enough

They say brushing with fluoride toothpaste for three minutes is all it takes to protect your teeth from bacteria, germs and the much-dreaded cavities. However,that is far from true. Brushing alone only removes 60% of the bacteria; the other 40% is removed by flossing. In order to clean your mouth and teeth thoroughly, you must develop a habit to floss religiously every day after meals.

The reason why flossing is so important is because it helps clean those tiny nooks and crannies that go unclean with just regular brushing; thus, preventing tooth decay and the terribly painful cavities.

Cleaning the Tongue

Dental hygiene is all about keeping the entire mouth clean but most people avoid cleaning the tongue. Not cleaning the tongue is one of the main reasons why one develops bad breath since the layer of mucus protects bad breath causing bacteria. The best way to get rid of bad breath is to clean the tongue gently with the tongue scraper that is usually fitted on the flip side of the brush.

However, make sure you do not scrape your tongue more than 4-5 times or continue until it begins to bleed.

Brush like a Pro

One of the biggest mistakes commonly made by people is brushing the teeth in a zigzag motion. The right technique for brushing the teeth is to place the tooth brush at a 45 degree angle which will allow the bristles of the tooth brush to get inside and over the gum and use steady up and down motion, to avoid leaving out bacteria in that particular area. Also, do not forget to brush the roof of your mouth and the insides of your cheeks since bacteria usually get collected in those trouble spots.

At the same time, it is important to understand that there is no need to apply a significant amount of force when brushing your teeth. Brushing with force may cause the natural enamel to wear off and the gum level to recede, which can potentially cause sensitivity problems.

Handling Bad Breath from the Sinus

People who have bad breath due to sinus trouble may have to go an extra mile when it comes to maintaining pristine dental hygiene but it’s definitely worth it. To eliminate bad breath, clear out your nose thoroughly and add a drop or two of nasal sinus spray in both nostrils. In order to get the spray right down to the sinus passages all the way down to the back of the throat.

By following this routine every day, you will notice that the bad breath you once had to struggle to mask is gone for good.

Make sure you visit the dentist once every six months to ensure your teeth are in great shape.

So what are your views on dental hygiene? Do not forget to tell us what you think about maintaining proper dental hygiene, in the comments section.

Comments

One thought on “4 Tips on How You Can Maintain Proper Dental Hygiene

  1. Guy Gardener

    I know that only brushing your teeth isn’t good enough, but I know a guy who only uses mouthwash. He has done this since Jr. High. No brushing, no flossing, just mouthwash.

Comments are closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

footer_img